Suane 'Black Chiney' Waite

Two men, including an alleged member of the Elgin Town-based One Link gang in Hanover, were gunned down by unknown assailants on the weekend, and a suspect in one of the murders nabbed by the police in a botched bid by him to flee the murder scene.

A 9 mm pistol was also seized by the police.

The deceased have been identified as 22-year-old Kishawn Treleven, otherwise called ‘Chad’, who was a known operative of the One Link gang of Elgin Town, Lucea and 25-year-old Suaine Waite, otherwise called ‘Black Chiney’, a mason and taxi operator of Seaview Drive, Hopewell, in the parish.

The first of the two murders unfolded on Saturday night about 9:10 p.m., when Waite, who was standing beside a container bar in Hopewell, was pounced upon by a lone gunman who opened fire hitting him.

The police were called to the area and on their arrival, they discovered that Waite had been shot several times. He was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead.

 Head of the Hanover Police, Superintendent Sharon Beeput, said Waite had featured prominently on the police’s radar and was linked to several intelligence-led operations by the police. The Western Mirror has also learnt that he was involved in a physical confrontation with another man, when he used a machete to slap him several times. 

In the meantime, just minutes after Waite’s killing, the man who allegedly shot him, was picked up by the police during a spot check at Bamboo Drive in Hopewell.

Reports are that the police signalled a unit to stop, however, the driver did not comply with their command but went on to crash the unit in a nearby tree. The men fled from the vehicle.

Shortly after, the police observed a mini-bus speeding towards them, but made a sudden stop in front of them.  Checks made by the police revealed that one man had a gun and later turned out to be a suspect in Waite’s murder committed just minutes before.

The man was subsequently arrested and a Springfield MS200 9mm Pistol was taken from him.

It was later learned that the suspect had commandeered the mini-bus holding the driver at gunpoint and instructed him to drive to a particular location.

Meanwhile, The Hanover police report that close to four hours later, about 12:50 a.m. on Sunday, it is alleged that Treleven and his girlfriend were travelling along a footpath in Elgin Town. He was lowly riding his motorcycle while she was walking beside him.

The girlfriend reportedly heard someone say: “Bwoy nuh move” and she ran off. Shortly after, explosions sounding like gunshots were heard. The police were summoned and upon their arrival, Treleven was seen suffering from multiple gunshot wounds, his throat slashed and several cuts across his face.

 Superintendent Beeput indicates that Treleven was the target of several intelligence-led operations by the police.

Treleven’s brother, Nickoy Treleven, who was wanted for a number of murders committed in Western Jamaica, including that of police constable Andre Alder in November of 2016, was shot and killed during a confrontation with the police in St. Ann last year.