HEADS UP! In pouring rain, Wadadah’s Denyu Ricketts (R) effortlessly gets the ball over the head of Lucea’s Demar Dohman (back to camera), while teammate Oshane Hunter, looks on during their JFF Charley’s JB Rum Western CONFED Super League match played at UDC field on Sunday. Wadadah won the affair 1-0 to move into the semi-final.

Noelita Lawrence – Staff Repporter

Substitute Shannoy Anderson nicked in a late winner, cancelling out two spectacular super strikes, as overwhelming favourites, Faulkland, and title holders Wadadah, punched their tickets to the semi-finals of the JFF Charley’s JB Rum Western CONFED Super League with wins in Sunday’s round of games.

At Wespow, Faulkland survived a late surge to snatch a sensational 2-1 victory over Hopewell, while Wadadah clipped Lucea 1-0 at UDC.

In Tucker, Anderson tapped in a loose ball at the back post five minutes from time, mere minutes after being introduced to the contest as Faulkland maintained their string of success, carving out a League-high 11th victory of the season.

In what can be described as one of the best games to date in the League, slick, snappy, one-touch passes played at a very high tempo on a well-grassed field delighted the fans who braved the rain as both teams, producing high quality football, delighted the crowd.

The contest was duly rewarded with two spectacular goals which had the teams’ level  before Anderson snatched all points for the Kenneth Watsoncoached unit.

Faulkland went ahead in sensational fashion when Marvin Sangster uncorked a peach 30 yard strike on the run which rocketed into the top corner of the net, in off the outstretched fingertips of the flying Hopewell goalkeeper.

The strike came in the 54th minute.

However, as the game went on, Hopewell, having the better of the chances rang in the changes, and found themselves back on level terms with an equally sensational strike from the laces of Shirvnarine Brown, who curled a beauty, midway up the post into the back of the net, past a diving Faulkland goalkeeper.

Brown benefited from an explosive run down the flank by the energetic Kenroy Campbell, who tormented and teased defenders for the entire affair with his runs and skills with the ball at his feet.

The defeat halted the push of the Hopewell team, but they remain in third position.


Elsewhere, defending champions Wadadah, behind a tap-in from a saved penalty kick from the returning Matthew Thorpe, sealed their spot as they cannot finish lower than third, thanks to a 1-0 win over Lucea in their late-starting battle played in heavy rain and slippery underfoot conditions.

Wadadah, the reigning mid-season champion, were awarded the penalty after Oshane Hunter was wiped out inside the penalty area attempting a shot.

Thorpe failed on his first attempt, but recovered to tap in the rebound.

In the meantime, four teams including Falmouth remain in the running for a semi-final slot, despite failing to get maximum points.

Falmouth, with their legion of young stars, had to settle for a 1-1 draw with a resurgent Sandals South Coast who sit outside the playoffs spot in sixth place.

After a brisk early going without any success, Sandals South Coast went ahead in the 43rd minute when veteran striker, Ron Daley, netted.

Falmouth, in-front of their home crowd, replied almost instantaneously through Ricardo James, 60 seconds later.

Sheldon Smith and Carlington Johnson both scored for their teams in either halves as Grand Palladium and Harmony also shared points in a 1-1 draw.


Promoted Somerton needed a 14th match to break their winless jinx, as they clipped Delveland Police Youth Club by the odd goal in three (2-1).

First half goals by Kaywana Harvey and Hakeem Graham in the 21st and 43rd minutes did the business for the Somerton team, pressing for the last four outings.

Delveland got what turned out to be a consolation, and forced a tense end to the clash when they converted a penalty in the 73rd minute.


The round belonged to former champions Granville who hit six past the hapless, relegated Reggae Youths in the lone Saturday game played at UDC.

Davian Thelwell and Romaine Reid each with a brace (4th and 73rd) (22nd and 36th) respectively; Corey Matthews and an own-goal, proved enough for the late-blooming Granville team, almost certain to miss out on qualification to the knockout phase.

Granville, who held a comfortable 3-0 lead at the halftime interval, dominated from start to finish and should have won by a wider margin, but, as has been customary this season, they have been wasteful in front of goal.

Oshane Thompson found the lone strike for the Reggae Youths team after 68 minutes.