RELEASED: Everado Chambers of the Westgreen team releases a pass out of midfield, just before he comes under a lunging tackle from Jovain McNish of KingGate during first half action in their St. James Football Association Sandals International Under-20 football competition held at the UDC field on Wednesday, July 25. Westgreen clinched a 2-1 victory.

Only one game was possible on Wednesday, July 25, as Montego Bay United (MBU) failed to field a team for their clash against the much-touted Maldon.

With more than 20 minutes gone into the scheduled start time, and two whistles blown by the officials on hand, MBU had only four players at the venue awaiting the kick off whistle, which was blown off shortly before 3 p.m.

In the game played, Osawld Smith struck the winner six minutes from time as Westgreen turned in an efficient performance to earn three vital points in a narrow, but entertaining 2-1 victory over the fast starting KingGate.

Antonio Kerr, in the third minute, provided the other goal for the Westgreen team while Rainnar Barnes hit the back of the net for the losing King Gate outfit.

Westgreen made an explosive start to the clash and raced unto the scoresheet mere 180 seconds into the match when the nippy Kerr raced unto a ball over the top before lobbing it past the advancing goalkeeper at an acute angle and into the top corner of the net.

Westgreen dictated the pace from there on and had a few other chances to increase the advantage but were wasteful. The much travelled Everado Chambers could have had a hat-trick inside 12 minutes after the go-ahead goal, but missed on all three occasions when clean in, including an unchallenged header from inside the six yard box.

Chambers ghosted into the area, getting on the end of a well weighted delivery, but despite going up uncontested, he flicked his header well wide of the target, with the goalkeeper not even having to make a save.

The Westgreen team, clad in their new outfit and without the services of pointman Alex Forbes, also struck the crossbar from long-range before the follow up shot – with the keeper still beaten – sent agonizingly over a bar.

Seconds after the miss, KingGate had the opportunity to level things from point blank range, but Jovain McNish fluffed and had his shot charged down by a brave goalkeeper who dived low at his feet to block the goal-bound effort.

Westgreen puffed afterwards, but still failed to trouble their opponents’ goal for a second time, until Smith popped up to snatch the winner in dramatic and sensational fashion.

Action in the competition continues later today (Friday, July 27) with another double header at the UDC field.

Rosemount will open their account in the event when they line up against Cambridge, who made a losing start to their quest in controversial fashion.

Both will be looking for a first win in a bid to kick start their campaign, but the Rosemount team is likely to start as favourites as they boast an array of talent in their ranks.
That clash begins at 2 p.m. – two hours ahead of the fixture between Heights and Bogue.

Both enter the battle with much to compete for as Heights were peppered in their opening match while Bogue fought hard to mark a victory.

Two exciting games are expected, with each of the four teams hoping for a vital three points to keep alive their chances of advancing in the competition.

By Noelita Lawrence


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here