CAUGHT IN THE MIDDLE: Michael McLeod, formerly of Wadadah, now on loan from Reno, is caught in the middle of a fist fight as he tries desperately to separate the punching duo of Darren Tummings and Obrian Robinson during the late stages of the JFF Charley’s JB Rum Western CONFED match played at UDC yesterday (Tuesday, February 11) Wadadah won 2-1 to secure their place in the Mid-season Finale. –Noelita Lawrence photo

Noelita Lawrence

The first title of the 2018/2019 JFF Charley’s JB Rum Western CONFED Super League will be decided on Sunday, February 17, with Wadadah meeting Faulkland in the showdown set for Jarrett Park beginning at 6 p.m.

Wadadah and Faulkland earned the right to meet each other after finishing top of their respective zones following the completion of the opening two rounds of the preliminary round.

Defending League champions Wadadah punched the second and final slot and earned the right to battle early qualifiers Faulkland after sealing a confrontational 2-1 victory over Hopewell at UDC yesterday, Tuesday, February 11.

Veteran Kemario James and Denyu Ricketts, with an exquisite flick at the near post in the 28th, and 56th minutes, were the scorers for the Wadadah team, who operated without coach Daniel Ricketts on the sidelines due to personal reasons.

Barrington Chambers on the hour mark, responded for the Hopewell team midway the second half, forcing a scrambled finish in the contest which saw both teams ending with ten players following the expulsion of Hopewell goalkeeper Darren Tummings and Wadadah substitute striker Obrian Robinson.

The two had to be separated after throwing blows in the affair which disintegrated through vicious tackles and wretched officiating from the man in the middle, referee Andre Farquharson.

Wadadah with the win also exacted revenge on their opponents who defeated them 1-0 in their first round meeting.

It also extended Wadadah’s unbeaten run to five games improving their points tally to 24.

Hopewell did enough to have at least walked away with a point in the game, but calls for a late penalty were waved off despite an obvious foul on the visiting attacker inside the penalty area.

Both Wadadah’s goals came from corner kicks with James ghosting in for the first to scramble home in on the bounce.

Ricketts then flicked a cheeky shot which squeezed between the post and the goalkeeper to give Wadadah the cushion.

Hopewell lacked much penetration with most of their attacks centred in and around the middle of the park, but for the here and there  free kicks just outside the penalty area.


In other games played on the day, last year’s beaten finalists and overwhelming favourites Faulkland exploded for five, dimming the lights of Lucea 5-1.

Eccentric schoolboy standout, Ewan Barton debuting for the club, opened up with a hat-trick in the 28th, 30th and 53rd minutes, while Rasheed Brown and Renaldo McLish added the others. 

 Granville meanwhile conceded a late 86th minute penalty and had to settle for a 1-1 draw away to the much-improved Somerton at Dumfries Community Centre.

The former champions and many times semi-finalists went ahead after 4 minutes through an own-goal.

In other games played on the weekend Grand Palladium extended Delveland Police Youth Club’s winless run with a 3-2 beating through goals by Omar Martin, Robert Minto and Sheldon Smith.

Delroy Davis and Junior Neil in time added on (90+5) found the back of the net in Sandals South Coast’s 2-0 win over Harmony.

Falmouth United also had a big scoring day, putting five unanswered goals past lowly Reggae Youths.

Veteran striker and former Premier League hotshot Allan Ottey, with a double, 21st, 23rd and 80th minutes and two own-goals, accounted for the scorers.